Before joining Cal State East Bay in 2004, I worked in Silicon Valley at technology start-ups Netline and Digital Impact, both e-marketing software companies, and supported Hewlett-Packard’s online support services business as a PR account executive. Prior to that I was in reprographics, working for Barker Blue Reprographics in Burlingame, California. I started my professional career in retail management (not reflected here). From 1996 to 2004, I held the following positions:
2000-2004: Vice President, Marketing, NetLine Corporation
2000: Account Executive for Hewlett Packard, Hoffman Agency
1998-1999: Marketing Communications Manager, Digital Impact
1996-1998: Vice President, Sales & Marketing, Barker Blue Reprographics
Major accomplishments in these roles include:
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Developed the market research, product roadmap, and long-term pricing strategy for a comprehensive marketing automation solution for NetLine.
- Collaborated with “early majority” business-to-business marketers from 2000 to 2004 to understand and integrate email marketing and online lead generation into traditional marketing programs.
- Evangelized the use of email technology for HTML-based “one-to-one” marketing with industry analysts, the press, and “innovator/early adopter” marketers in 1998, helping to launch the “e-marketing” industry.
- Worked with the architect, engineer, and construction industry to leverage digital technologies for the improved management of building plans throughout projects.
- Led the conversion of Barker Blue from traditional ammonia-based blueprinting to digital in 1996, and additionally built up the infrastructure and client base to support small and large format digital color printing; doubling the company’s revenues in under three years.
Technical and Project Management
- Developed product specifications for NetLine’s core marketing automation product, and assisted engineering in setting development priorities.
- Moved NetLine from one-off product development to a standardized product platform used by multiple clients.
- Project manager for NetLine’s baseline product development and client-specific implementations, integrations, and customizations.
- Project manager for NetLine’s Web Rebuild project.
- Project manager for the development of Digital Impact’s initial website.
Communication and Collaboration
- Revamped NetLine’s positioning and corporate branding, including logo, collateral materials, and website; authored monthly e-newsletter and two white papers; and conducted all public relations activities and served as the organization’s spokesperson, generating several articles in industry publications for this little-know start-up.
- Fostered relationships with 18 new clients, resulting in a 265% increase in NetLine’s marketing automation product sales in 2001. Increased revenue 288% in 2002 (over 2001). Subsequently increased revenues 84% in 2003 (over 2002).
- Led NetLine’s client services department, including developing policies and procedures, establishing a customer care program, providing program review and best practices consulting, negotiating contracts, and managing profitability.
- Developed external partnerships for NetLine and collaborated with partners on lead generation programs and joint marketing activities.
- Managed the day-to-day public relations activities for HP’s online support services initiative, including: developing PR plans, drafting press releases, writing story pitches and bylined articles, reporting on monthly metrics, submitting for awards, securing speaking engagements.
- Provided account management to, and foster collaboration between, three separate Hewlett-Packard departments in the creation of a unified messaging platform for a new online support services initiative.
- As Digital Impact’s 15th employee and first marketing employee, created and managed all marketing activities, including: brand positioning, public and analyst relations, advertising, tradeshow and even management, collateral development, website, and marketing budgeting and planning; creating the opportunity for a $1 billion valuation at the company’s initial public offering one year later.
- Served as Digital Impact’s liaison to the press and analyst community.
- Managed Barker Blue’s rebranding and development of all marketing collateral, advertising, presentations, and website.
- Built and managed the customer service and sales departments at Barker Blue, and managed the company’s largest accounts.