California State University, East Bay serves approximately 14,000 students and has three campuses in Hayward, Oakland, and Concord, California. Cal State East Bay is a public institution that is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
I held four roles, each with progressive responsibility, during my time at CSUEB:
Director, IT Relationship Management & Project Services
Director, Specialized Technology Services (STS)
2007-2009 | Information Technology Services Division
Responsible for building the IT relationship management function from the ground up; managing IT’s relationship with the University’s five divisions, four colleges, and administrative and faculty governance bodies; overseeing the project management office and project portfolio of 120+ projects; and serving as the IT communicator for university-wide projects and major outages/incidents.
As STS Director, responsible for managing an 18-person team responsible for management and maintenance for more than 25 administrative applications, website development and support, and reporting. Oversaw the team’s management of and participation in 15+ technology projects in one year.
Director, Communications & Technology
Manager, Technology Projects
2004-2007 | Continuing Education Division
Responsible for the Continuing Education division’s technology systems and projects. Served as the division’s project lead for the PeopleSoft project and represented Continuing Education on university-wide technology committees. Also responsible for all CE departmental websites and marketing communications programs.
Institutional service includes:
- Member, IT Change Advisory Board. 2008-2009.
- Member, Online Campus Advisory Committee. 2008-2009.
- IT Services Liaison, Executive Committee of the Academic Senate, Faculty Support Services Committee, and Web Steering Committee. 2008-2009.
- Web Accessibility Sponsor, Accessible Technology Initiative. 2007-2009.
- VP Appointee for Continuing Education, University Information Technology Committee. 2005-2007.
Major accomplishments in these roles include:
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Conceived of and created the IT Relationship Management and Project Services department, serving the entire university.
- Conceptualized and implemented a reorganization of Web Services, creating additional capacity to meet campus-wide Web support needs.
- Led the reorganization of five, division-based technical support teams into one centralized Specialized Technology Services team, creating efficiencies and standardized practices in support across the administrative divisions.
- Served as a member of the Online Campus Advisory Committee, assisting with oversight, strategic planning, grant proposal development, and implementation support for the university’s online education initiative.
- Participated on an ongoing basis in IT Services strategic review and planning.
- Served as the campus Web accessibility sponsor for the CSU system-wide Accessible Technology Initiative, with responsibility for ensuring campus understanding of and compliance with Web accessibility requirements.
Technical and Project Management
- Managed 18-person Specialized Technology Services team, responsible for the management and maintenance for more than 25 specialized applications, website development and support, and reporting. Oversaw team’s management of and participation in 15+ technology projects in one year.
- Oversaw the project management office and 120+ projects in the project portfolio. Assisted in the development of a project steering committee; evaluation and ranking systems; project management documentation and processes; and department, division, and university-wide projects reporting.
- Managed project-based teams ranging from 5 to 25 people.
- Project manager for the university-wide Web Rebuild, Web CMS, and Online Student Services projects, including managing the RFP and vendor selection.
- Contributed to the development and implementation of ITIL-based processes and procedures for service desk, change management, and relationship management.
- Served as the Continuing Education division’s liaison, business analyst, and project manager for the university-wide PeopleSoft ERP implementation.
- Project manager for the Continuing Education Web Registration project—which created operational efficiencies by enabling students to self-register online (within 2 months, 25% of enrollments were transacted online)—and the Continuing Education Web Rebuild project, including implementation of email, forms, and analytic tools, enabling the division to collect over 500 leads per month from its site (previously generated zero leads/month).
- Led a division-wide evaluation and process re-engineering of social security number usage in technology systems and paper-based processes, to address new state laws.
- Managed critical incident response and successful recovery of compromised servers.
Communication and Collaboration
- Provided account management for the University’s five divisions, four colleges, and administrative and faculty governance bodies.
- Coordinated cross-unit collaboration, both functional and IT, and served as the IT communicator for university-wide projects and issues with broad campus impact.
- Developed and delivered monthly IT reports for university divisions.
- Created focus groups and IT’s first satisfaction survey to guide the development of the IT Services communication plan.
- Authored and implemented a communications plan for the rollout of a university-wide email retention policy, leading to an uneventful launch with no increase in Service Desk tickets.
- Coordinated communications with the campus newspaper, The Pioneer, on a Blackboard learning management system outage, resulting in a favorable editorial.
- Regularly presented reports on strategic projects and IT initiatives to President’s Cabinet, Provost’s Council, Executive Committee of the Academic Senate, University Planning and Budget Advisory Committee, Web Steering Committee, University Information Technology Committee, College of Education and Allied Studies Council of Chairs, Planning and Enrollment Management Town Hall, Student Affairs Leadership Team, and University Advising Committee.
- Initiated and served as the IT Services representative on the Faculty Support Services Committee; served as the IT liaison to the Academic Senate Executive Committee and an ex-officio member of Planning and Enrollment Management and Student Affairs divisions’ management teams, and participated in Student Affairs strategic planning.
- Created and implemented Continuing Education’s first e-marketing plan, generating increased leads, enrollments, and revenue for the division.